Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shoes... what are they good for? Absolutely EVERYTHING!


Well, it happened again. I tried to stop it, but it was inevitable. It’s a common occurrence; a problematic symptom of an imaginative “disease” that I’ve convinced myself exists (perhaps in an ideological, yet conceded world). A desire, nay, a need, to try to be the absolute best I can be in my own mind; a reflection of what I perceive to be the best in the eyes of the fashion world. Today, I purchased a new pair of shoes.

It wasn’t my intention – I swear. I was simply spending a lovely day with my mom. I was showing her around a constantly developing strip mall that I can’t help but frequent on a weekly basis (even though I am the marketing manager for a shopping centre and spend my days in a mall).  I started out the day with the conviction that I would not spend a dime. I survived a trip through a clothing outlet (that was a difficult one); and another through a lingerie store (they were the lucky recipients of my money last weekend). But, then it happened – a shoe store was on the horizon. We stepped in through their “helm” (umm, okay, their entrance… perhaps I’m being a bit too dramatic), and it was then that I was powerless against the command of the shoe.

I swear I never had the intention of purchasing anything. I was simply wandering up and down the aisles admiring the stunning bright colours of the spring and summer styles that will eventually be parading up and down the streets of Halifax once we escape the winter weather. But, then it happened. I came across a pair of wedge shoes. They were nothing too fancy or extravagant – they were simply grey and suede. They had a small shoe lace that secured them to you foot. Nothing too spectacular, but as soon as I saw them I knew there were destine to be mine. So, I did what you should never do when you see something you want yet know you shouldn’t purchase – I tried them on. Then it happened… I saw how the wedge heel made my feet look so petite and my legs so long. I saw how cute my feet looked and I felt how happy they made me feel and I felt how I needed to bring these dear shoes home with me.

The usual “no, I shouldn’t” and the “I really shouldn’t” occurred. I put them back, I picked them up again. I walked around the store carrying the shoes, pondering if we should have a life together. Finally, I made my way to the checkout. I pulled out my wallet, and the rest, as they say, was history.

I am now the proud owner of a high-fashion bootie. We are extremely happy together and there is no regret that this relationship was forged!

Curious to know what shoe I purchase? Here is a photo of my new shoes: 



So, what do you think??


No comments:

Post a Comment